The 79th Infantry Division first came into existence on paper on August 25th, 1917. Ultimately consisting of 27,000 men, the division would be made up of two infantry brigades; the first, the 157th, contained the 313th and the 314th infantry regiments and the 311th machine gun battalion. The second, the 158th, contained the 316th and 315th infantry regiments and the 312th machine gun battalion. The division also contained the 154th field artillery brigade, the 310th machine gun battalion and numerous other supporting units.
Courtesy of Hathi Trust[link]